Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Willey welcomes Hair recall

Peter Willey: "If the technology that they use on the TV is 100% accurate, I would say use the TV. But I don't think it is 100% accurate"...

Peter Willey, the chairman of the umpires' association, has admitted he is pleased to see Darrell Hair restored to the ICC's elite panel. Hair was removed from the elite panel in the aftermath of The Oval Test in 2006 but the ICC have now welcomed him back into the fold.

"I think everyone felt for Darrell as an umpire really," he said. "He did what he thought was right. He wasn't backed up and he paid the price. I am glad he has come back, I hope he does well and has a long future as a Test umpire. I've always found him an honest man and a good umpire. He is a strong umpire. Some people don't like that."

Willey, a former England batsman who went on to umpire in 25 Tests, also defended umpires in general, adding that TV replays were putting them under increasing pressure.

"When I finished, all this technology was just coming in and you've got the added pressure of, every time you go in the middle, of everything being dissected in super slow-motion. People forget you've got a split-second to give an honest decision.

"If the technology that they use on the TV is 100% accurate, I would say use the TV. But I don't think it is 100% accurate. There are loads of things they can't pick up. I don't agree with Hawkeye. I don't think it gives a very honest description of where the ball pitches or is going. On certain pitches, you pitch the ball in the same spot and one delivery will go up and one will go down so, how they can predict where the ball will go, I just don't know.

"Then there is the case of bat-pad appeals. They tried it out a competition in South Africa a few years ago. Batsmen were asked to give an honest opinion on six bat-pad catches and every time the TV got it wrong. It is very difficult, even in slow motion, to decide whether the ball has hit the bat or not."