Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Highlights - T20 World Cup Final

Sri Lanka Bat

Pakistan Bat
Celebrns + Post Match

Watch cricket highlights - Pakistan vs Sri Lanka - the 2009 T20 World Cup Final.

Scoreline: Sri Lanka 138/6 Sangakkara 64 (52), Angelo Mathews 35 (24) - Abdul Razzaq 3-20-3, Afridi 4-20-1
Pakistan win in 18.4 overs: Shahid Afridi 54 (40), Kamran Akmal 37 (28), Shoaib Malik 24 (22) - Malinga 3.4-14-0

I consider myself one of the bigger Afridi fans around, but I doubt I ever thought in all those years of Afridi-cricket wallowing in the pits of destitution, that he’d turn up at the final stages of a World Cup, much like Shane Warne did in ‘99.

Sangakkara, despite getting ok scores through this tournament, barring the game vs Australia has looked out of sorts. But today it was a completely different person having to temper his initial seize-the-game mode in search of someone at the other end. A very defendable total in a Cup final (in the company of Mathews) eventually resulted, but clever and calm cricket by Pakistan made it a walk-through in the end.

Amazing for Afridi to be the man of the moment considering his ignominious duck in the 2007 final which had translated to effigy-burning times despite being the Player of the Tournament then.

The comments section in this site had to be closed down after it became too much to handle. It started when India played Bangladesh and then climaxed after India exited the tournament. Would just like to say to some of those visitors - there are many Indians (like myself) who like good cricket whether it’s played by India, Pakistan, Australia or whoever and Pakistan players like Afridi and Akram (in the past) are respected and enjoyed as much as Indian players. So think about that, whenever comments are reopened here, and do stick to the cricket, considering this is a cricket highlights site. Hope everyone enjoyed the tournament. Back with the India tour of WI in a few days. Until then, have a virtual smoke on me.

Recall: Sri Lanka won the Super 8 encounter - not that it counts for too much - the Pakistan team was different at the time - Razzaq was missing and Afridi was still getting into his stride.