Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hayden thinks about one-day exit

Matthew Hayden: "I won't be ruthless about trying to push on. I don't want to hang on too long".

A lingering heel injury has forced Matthew Hayden to consider his limited-overs future, but he says he still has the desire to continue in the format despite having to pull out of the series against Bangladesh. Hayden, who picked up the problem in April, said he was keen to keep appearing in coloured clothes - "at least for this summer".

"I really enjoy it so providing I can hold my spot I will definitely be playing more one-day cricket," he told the Australian. "It's not like I've played 300 games. I came late to one-day cricket and have played about 150 [161] games."

Hayden was the player of the 2007 World Cup and is the ICC's one-day player of the year, but he will turn 37 in October and knows time is running out. "I want to finish off the desire I have to play one-day cricket without being selfish because it's important the team has plenty of time to prepare for the next World Cup," he said. "That's still a long way off, but I won't be ruthless about trying to push on. I don't want to hang on too long."

Australia will have another look at the future during the three matches against Bangladesh in Darwin, starting from Saturday. Shaun Marsh, Shane Watson and Brad Haddin are contenders for the opening spots while David Hussey and Cameron White may also receive significant game time. The cancellation of the Champions Trophy has disrupted Australia's pre-season, but given Hayden a greater opportunity to recover from the Achilles problem.

"In the short term it's disappointing, but in the longer term it's really good because it gives me extra time to get right for India," Hayden said. "India is a hugely challenging and iconic series. There have been a lot of distractions lately with the rise of Twenty20 cricket but the premium product is still Test cricket and one of the premium events is playing India."