Friday, March 7, 2008

'It was as if Harbhajan v Australia'


Harbhajan Singh: "I can understand the [Australian] public wanting to support their team but I made them realise that I also played cricket the tough way"...

Harbhajan Singh, embroiled in more than one controversy during India's tour of Australia, has no praise for the Australian team and has said the side is arrogant and not known to mingle with other teams.

"Only Gilly [Adam Gilchrist] and [Brett] Lee came to our dressing room after the Perth Test," Harbhajan told the Hindu. "Even Gilly has a facade of a friendly cricketer. But the Australians will never forget this Indian team. We matched their aggression and taught [them] some lessons in hard cricket."

Harbhajan said this trip was the most challenging of his career. "It was as if the series was Harbhajan Singh versus Australia." He also said the CB Series win was more satisfying than India's come-from-behind victory in the Test series against Australia at home in 2001.

"I had always wanted to do well against Australia. We were all proud of ourselves that we did well in Australia. They are a dominating team but I have had a good record against them. I had to match their aggression and that is what I did."

Harbhajan was charged for making an alleged racist remark to Andrew Symonds during the Sydney Test. The ruling was eventually in his favour but it left a lot of bitterness between the two sides, something which spilled over on the field during the CB Series.

"That charge was not against me but the whole of India. It was very serious and honestly I was very upset," Harbhajan said. "I can never forget the backing I received from the team and will always remember the support that Anil [Kumble] gave me. Anil bhai was outstanding in his handling of the situation."

According to Harbhajan, it wasn't just the Australian players, but also the public and the press, who were against the Indian team. "I can understand the public wanting to support their team but I made them realise that I also played cricket the tough way. I was not in Australia to make friends. I was there to play for my country and win. And win we did."