Friday, October 24, 2008

Coaching an option now - Saleem Malik

Saleem Malik said he has an offer to play from the ICL.

Saleem Malik, the former Pakistan captain, has said coaching is an option now that he can legally participate in cricketing activities. On Thursday Malik had his life ban for his part in the 1994-95 match-fixing scandal lifted by a Pakistan court and he is now looking at options to resume his involvement in the game.

"I was also offered to play in the ICL by my good friend Kapil Dev,” Malik told the Times of India. "IPL is an option too, if a team wants me as a coach.”

The Pakistan Cricket Board banned Malik in 2000 after an inquiry commission led by Justice Malik Mohammad Qayyum found him guilty of bribing Australian cricketers Shane Warne and Mark Waugh to lose the Karachi Test in 1994-95. Malik, who maintained his innocence, appealed the decision in 2001.

After his appeal was rejected he approached the Supreme Court, which decided in May this year that the appeal should be heard at a lower court. Malik said he had gone through hell for nine years.

"I was even exonerated by the Justice Ebrahim commission, but the PCB weren't satisfied," he said. "They were out to get me and Justice Qayyum got me banned. What bothered me was seeing the sense of shame in my kids' eyes.

"I came from a humble family and could not study much. My dream was to seek admission for my sons in Aitchison College, Lahore's best school. But after my life ban, my kids were denied admission there. Now they can hold their heads high.”

Malik hoped the former India captain Mohammad Azharuddin would also have his life ban for his involvement in match-fixing lifted. "I can imagine what he's going through,” Malik said.