Saturday, September 6, 2008

Shoaib to join Surrey on Sunday

Shoaib Akhtar: "The eventual aim is to play for Pakistan and I feel Surrey offers me the best opportunity to prove my fitness".

Shoaib Akhtar has sorted out his visa formalities and is expected to join county side Surrey on Sunday. Shoaib had been sent back home on arrival at Heathrow Airport on Thursday as he was carrying the wrong type of visa.

Surrey, in their bid to stave off relegation from Division One of the County Championship, had sought Shoaib for their final three games of the season. Shoaib missed the ongoing fixture against Kent - which has been affected by rain - but will be available for the final two matches against Hampshire and Nottinghamshire. The fast bowler, though, was headed to India on Saturday to take part in a TV show.

"I am going to India for a day to fulfil a commitment to take part in a television show and after that I will fly out to England to join Surrey," he told PTI. "Everything is now in order and I will join Surrey by Sunday.

"The eventual aim is to play for Pakistan and I feel Surrey offers me the best opportunity to prove my fitness," he said. "I am keen to prove myself to the selectors and resume my Pakistan career."

Shoaib has previously had county stints with Durham, Somerset and Worcestershire. He has played only one first-class match this year and was banned by the PCB for five years in April. The ban was subsequently reduced to 18 months, and later suspended. Shoaib was picked in Pakistan's squad for the Champions Trophy but he still has to pay a fine of Rs 7 million (approx US$92,000) to the board.