Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lucky to get a central contract - Vaughan

Michael Vaughan, the former England captain, has said he was lucky to receive a central contract from the ECB despite not scoring the runs to justify his place. Vaughan was among the 12 players to receive a contract.

"I think it has shown a hell of a lot of faith," Vaughan told the BBC. "I think they [ECB] have just repaid the fact that if I get back into form I think I can still play a huge part in the England cricket team."

Vaughan stepped down as captain last month following the Test defeat at Edgbaston - which handed South Africa the series - and opted out of the final Test at The Oval.

Since May 2007, Vaughan has averaged 36.25 from 18 Tests, with three hundreds. "But over the last year and a half I have had some excellent innings," he said. "I have had some good times with the bat not too long ago.

"I want to play for England - that is my goal over the next 12 months, to make sure I get that one last crack. I know it will be the last crack because you don't get a second crack when you get to the age of 33-34. It will be one last chance to hopefully go out there and try to score some Test hundreds.

"I need some runs. That's not something I am desperate to do, I'm just going to try to let it happen. Sometimes if you are too desperate to do something it goes further and further away from you."