Saturday, July 19, 2008

I want to play for Pakistan, not England - Kaneria

Danish Kaneria will not turn his back on Pakistan.

Danish Kaneria has reaffirmed his commitment Pakistan, denying quotes attributed to him that he would consider switching allegiance to England if he wasn't selected for Pakistan.

Kaneria, who is currently playing county cricket for Essex, had been quoted by a local newspaper as saying that he had "plenty of years to go" and will "consider playing for England at one stage if Pakistan" don't pick him. But despite the fact that his name does not figure among the 30 probables for the Pakistan squad in the Champions Trophy, Kaneria has insisted that he remains committed to Pakistan.

"I did not say that I wanted to stay over here (and qualify to play for England)," Kaneria told the Essex website. "I still want to play for Pakistan and my state side there. My priority is with Pakistan for as long as they need me in Test cricket.

"In fact I am always there for them in any form of the game - Pakistan has given me the name to be playing cricket in England. If ever Pakistan didn't select me for three to four years in a row in any form of cricket then, and only then, would I think about coming over here [on a permanent basis]."

Kaneria has not represented Pakistan in the current season, and had been reprimanded by the board in April for criticising them after he was demoted to category C among Pakistan's centrally contracted players. He was in the Pakistan team in their most recent Test, against India in December, and made the last of his 18 ODI appearances in the 2007 World Cup.