Monday, June 9, 2008

Gibbs doubtful over international future

Is it time? Herschelle Gibbs is considering his future at the highest level.

Herschelle Gibbs has indicated he is contemplating his South Africa career after being left out of the Test squad for the tour of England.

"I've got some decisions to make in the next few weeks whether to carry on at international level," Gibbs told the BBC. "I'm not in the squad and I'm not sure if I'll get back into the one-day team either."

Gibbs last played a Test in January against West Indies but did not feature in the Test teams that recently toured Bangladesh and India. However, he did play in the ODI series in Bangladesh. "I've spoken to the coach and he said I'm first reserve for South Africa in case anyone gets injured. So we'll have to wait and see. But I've been dying for a proper go at an English cricket county for the last few years so maybe me coming to Glamorgan has happened at a good time."

Gibbs will play for Glamorgan in the Twenty20 Cup, which starts on June 11, but said he could stay on for the season as a Kolpak player. "Maybe my appearance for Glamorgan in the Twenty20 Cup could be a sign of things to come."

He replaces Jason Gillespie as Glamorgan's overseas player for the tournament. However, Gibbs hasn't done too well in Twenty20s recently, scoring 103 runs in six matches for the Cape Cobras in the Pro20 competition in South Africa, and was one of the disappointments of the Indian Premier League, managing just 167 in nine matches for the bottom-finishers Deccan Chargers.

The 34-year-old Gibbs is expected to play a key role at Glamorgan, given the young profile of the squad. "I love Twenty20 cricket and it has certainly set the cricket world alight," he said. "I know Glamorgan's squad is quite inexperienced so I hope my knowledge can rub off on everyone. "

South Africa, who have not yet named their squad for the limited-overs fixtures in England, begin the tour with a game against Somerset on June 29. The four Test-series runs from July 10 to August 11, with a Twenty20 international on August 20 followed by a five-match ODI series.