Tuesday, February 26, 2008

'Pathetic' Ryder apologises for bar incident

An uncomfortable Jesse Ryder faces the media in Christchurch as Justin Vaughan explains the board's position...

A chastened and sore Jesse Ryder faced the media in Christchurch to apologise for his behaviour on Sunday morning that left him nursing a badly gashed hand which has ruled him out of the game for at least three months.

Ryder severed tendons in his right hand after punching a window in a local bar at 5.30am in the aftermath of New Zealand's victory in the final ODI against England, and added insult to injury by abusing hospital staff who were trying to treat him.

A subdued Ryder, accompanied by New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive Justin Vaughan, read out a prepared statement at the board's headquarters, ironically just yards from where the incident on Sunday had taken place.

"My behaviour was pathetic, and I will be apologising to them," Ryder said. "I apologise to the public and all the people who have supported me. My behaviour was unacceptable. I understand there are issues I need to address. I am committed to working with New Zealand Cricket to get back on track and back in the team."

Asked about his drinking - it emerged that he had been at a bar until 1.30am on the eve of the game as well - he replied: "I don't think I have a problem."

Vaughan made it clear that while NZC stood by the player, there remained deep concerns. "We want Jesse in the Black Caps, but we are disappointed in him and for him," he said. "We want Jesse to acknowledge that he has issues that need to be addressed and we want to support him to address those issues. Unless he does commit to addressing those issues there will be no place for him."

Ryder will undertake voluntary work on the recommendation of the hospital staff when his injury heals.